I'm obviously an atheist, but I had no idea what a difficult line that is to toe. Luckily my internet pal Philosoraptor turned me on to this alarming list of facts* about me and my fellow godless brethren.
Don't be mad at the atheists. They lead a very difficult life because of their beliefs. Anyone out there who considers themselves an atheist should educate themselves to the facts. I was very sad to read this and feel that we should all do our best to help the atheists:
• Atheists have a significantly higher rate of depression than non-atheist groups.
• Teenagers who identify themselves as atheist have a higher rate of suicide than those who don't.
• The WHO says venereal diseases spread faster among atheistic populations, particularly syphilis, hepatitis and HIV.
• On average, atheists have a 60% higher chance of dying from cancer and a 54% slower recovery rate.
• Married couples where one or both spouses is an atheist experience a higher rate of divorce than those who don't.
• Atheists account for an unusually high percentage of the total number of people who died of AIDS since the 1980s.
• Atheist world leaders are responsible for more total deaths as a result of politically motivated murders and genocides than the deaths of all religious wars combined since the beginning of recorded history.
• On average, atheists earn 35% less in household income per year than non-atheists.
• Atheists have a higher college drop-out rate than non-atheists and score an average 2.03 GPA compared to 3.13 for non-atheists.
• The rate of birth defects is 14% higher among couples who identify themselves as atheists.
• While Catholics top the charts for number of abortions per year, atheists top the charts for the number of miscarriages and infanticide cases, where the mother murdered her baby after it was born.
• Atheists account for a shocking 82% of the number of serial killers in the United States and an even more shocking 90% of those arrested for human cannibalism.
• Of all the cases of treason tried in the United States, 57.6% of those convicted were self-proclaimed atheists... more than Christians, Muslims, Jews, Agnostics and all other religions combined.
• The life expectancy for atheists is 12.03 years shorter than non-atheists.
• Atheists account for a larger percentage of military dishonorable discharges than non-atheists.
• A surprising documentary on PBS public television interviewed people after they saw an actor stage a collapse in the street to try and classify who was most likely to help and who was most likely to ignore the person. They repeated the scenario several hundred times over a period of three years to get a sampling based on age, gender, race, religious affiliation and economic status. In every instance, atheists ranked at the bottom of the list in terms of their willingness to help, unless the victim appeared to be an attractive white woman. They ranked lower than any other group when the victim appeared to be homeless or affiliated with a religion, such as a Hasidic Jew or a priest/nun. The documentary's producers were stunned to find that Christians, Jews and Muslims, in spite of their religious differences, were more inclined to help each other than atheists were inclined to help anybody.
Personally, when I see someone collapse in the street, I pee on them and steal their shit. But damn it, I pee on everyone equally.
*In this case, we're using this definition of fact.